Friends School is governed by an elected Community Board comprised of parents, parents of alumni students, the Head of School, teachers, program directors, and community members who act as ambassadors to our school. In addition, the three founding parents are ex-officio, non-voting members of the Board who are a source of historical information for the school community and help sustain the school’s core values.
The Community Board’s primary responsibilities include:
- financial management of Friends School
- setting strategy and major school policies
- creating processes for long-range planning
- periodically reviewing the school’s organization
- overseeing the implementation and maintenance of the school’s values
- employing, evaluating and supporting the Head of School
- overseeing the school’s business in relationship with the Head of School, the Founding Parents, and the staff
The Board delegates the day-to-day responsibility for the administrative and educational activities of Friends School to the Head of School and to the faculty and staff.
In addition to monthly meetings, the Community Board has an active, working committee structure that meet regularly and report to the full Board. Staff are engaged in the governance of the school, included by serving on Board committees.